I always have fun playing along with Saturday Night Genealogy Fun from Genea-Musings! You can check out his prompts on his blog and join in on the fun! I’m a little late this week but, what can I say, there was a hockey tournament this weekend!
The prompt for March 15: http://www.geneamusings.com/2015/03/saturday-night-genealogy-fun-date-your.html
This week’s prompt is to track down some information about the date of birth for one of your grandmothers and to explain how you found the information. This was a tough one for me but I managed to do it!
Marilynn Ruth Anderson (28 Jan 1924 – 31 May 2006)
1. What day of the week was your Grandmother born (either one)? Tell us how you found out.
January 28, 1924 was a Monday.
This was easy to find out. All you have to do is Google “What day of the week was” and up pops a list of date calculators. I used the first one on the list: http://www.calculatorcat.com/free_calculators/day_of_week.phtml It was so easy to use I did it from my phone while we were on our way to one of the hockey games.
2. What event was a headline in the newspapers on that date? Tell us how you found out.
This one was tough! A lot of newspapers I found didn’t go back that far or weren’t available online. I ended up browsing several websites that are linked from this Wikipedia page until I stumbled upon a site that existed and turned up results. I ended up at NYS Historic Newspapers. Here is the headline from the Plattsburgh Daily Republican on January 28, 1924:
“72 Miners Lost in Explosions: Hope for Forty Men Behind Rock Fall at Shanktown Given Up”
3. What has happened in recorded history on your Grandmother’s birth date (day and month)? Tell us how you found out, and list five events.
I searched “January 28 history” on Google and came up with a Wikipedia page on the subject.
- 1521 – Diet of Worms begins
- 1547 – Henry VIII dies
- 1813 – Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen is published for the first time.
- 1896 – Walter Arnold of Kent is issued the first speeding ticket for going 8mph (the speed limit was 2mph)
- 1956 Elvis Presley makes his first TV appearance
4) What famous people have been born on your Grandmother’s birth date? Tell us how you found out, and list five of them.
The same Wikipedia page as above also lists famous births. I struggled to find five names I recognized.
- 1912 – Jackson Pollock (artist)
- 1955 – Nicolas Sarkozy (former French president)
- 1968 – Sarah McLachlan (singer)
- 1977 – Takuma Sato (Indycar driver – woohoo!)
- 1981 – Elijah Wood (actor)